When the girls at my favourite salon Thaspa invited me to try their new professional spray tan range Jbronze Professional by Jennifer Hawkins, I jumped at the opportunity to have a lovely glow for my work Christmas party.
My friends think I am completely nuts getting a spray tan. I am quite dark naturally (my dad is Indonesian) and brown all year around. I am a bit lucky like that. But years of sun damage have left my skin with white spots, and uneven colouring.
Thaspa is in the middle of Sydney CBD and I live about an hour away, so I was a bit worried about the travelling, sitting in my car and rubbing off my newly sprayed tan, but Lisa assured me that City Chicks are able to now have a spray tan in their lunch break, throw on their business clothes and go about their day. Sounds great, doesn’t it?
I was given the following instructions:
- Exfoliate the night before, paying attention to the dry areas like elbows and knees
- Shave or wax before the tan because this will remove colour if done afterwards
- Shower in the morning but do not use moisturiser, perfume or deodorant (ew, was such a hot day too!) as these can block some of the colour
- Bring some loose clothing
- (I also brought some make up wipes to remove my make up)
A quick consultation with Lisa and we decided on the Jbronze Dark Chocolate Express which has a violet base and has a great rapid development time of 2 hours. She handed me a shower cap and a disposable g string and talked me through holding up my arms, holding my legs a certain way, while she used a spray gun to paint me. Within 10 minutes or so it was done. Even my face received a little glow! A little drying time and I was good to go. I looked like I had just been to FIJI! (what a great lunchtime treat!)
I free balled under a loose dress, threw on some Birkies and was stuck in traffic for an hour and a half. It only felt a tiny little bit sticky and the smell was not too bad with a slight vanilla/coconut scent. I left the tan on for another couple of hours until I had a shower and went to bed.
The result the next day was so nice. An even, natural tan, not even a little bit orange. Gone are the Oompah oompah days! Lisa told me they can adjust the colouring to match her clients own skin colour to make it look as natural looking as possible.
It was fully developed by the time I got dolled up for my Christmas Party. I wore a white top for a change and it looked great against my fresh tan!
What I liked about Jbronze Professional is that it has skin care properties as well. It has wonderful antioxidants and vitamins like Aloe Vera, green tea, avocado oil, coconut oil, Kiwi and grape seed oils and vitamin E to hydrate and moisturise. It does not have any nasties like paraben, palm oil and my skin felt AMAZING.
Tips to keep your tan as long as possible:
- Never rinse off your spray tan with hot water: use cool or luke warm and rinse off until the water runs clear
- Stay clear of exfoliants, or scrubs or products with retinol or anything with salicylic, lactic or glycolic acid as these are chemical exfoliants. Also avoid products with peroxide
- Heavy sweating will also remove the spray tan, so maybe don’t have one before you do that triathlon.
- Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise
To prolong my tan I purchased a couple of products from the Salon:
- Jbronze Dark Tanning Cream – a self tan which I will continue to use once a week or so
- JBronze Shimmer Instant Illuminiser – a gorgeous, gorgeous illuminiser with light reflecting particles. I like to use it on my shoulders, on my legs and a little on my cheekbones to give a really healthy glow.
If you haven’t had a spray tan done, JUST DO IT. It makes you feel skinny, your teeth look whiter and you feel FANTASTIC. In particular I think for us girls of a certain age – it hides veins, it covers uneven colouring, it makes cellulite look less noticeable.
I can’t stress enough that a professional spray tan should be done by a professional. Lisa from Thaspa was very thorough, explained every detail, before and during and gave me loads of advice to keep my tan as long as possible afterwards.
If you live in Sydney it really is worth checking out the beautiful salon in the middle of the City, the girls have helped me with my skin troubles before and nothing is too much of an effort for them.
The spray tan was a gift for editorial consideration.
Are you in LOVE with spray tans as much as me??
Til next time,